Default Chart Settings
If you are not logged into the site, or have not set up a default Chart Template (free site membership required), the default chart presented is a 6-Month Daily chart using OHLC bars.
Auto-Saving Your Charts
Unique to Barchart.com, if you are a registered site user and are logged in, every chart you visit is automatically saved to retain its last-viewed settings. This includes any changes you make to studies and tools. Every unique symbol you visit will retain its own unique saved settings.
Changing the Chart Symbol
You may change the symbol on the chart either by entering a new symbol in the chart form, or by entering a new symbol in the Seach box at the top of the page.
Links are provided at the top of the chart to allow you to quickly change the aggregation and time frame. The additional controls shown to the right of the Quick Chart links allow you to further fine-tune the aggregation (Intraday, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly) along with the period you wish to display.
For Commodity Contracts: Aggregation selections for Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly charts allow you to specify whether to use Contract, Nearest Futures, or Continuation data. Nearest will use whatever contract was the Nearest futures contract on the date of the given bar. The Price Box will show the contract that was used to build the bar. Continuation will always use the same MONTH to build each given bar.
Custom Date Range
You may set a custom date range for a specific aggregation. First, choose whether you want to see Intraday, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or Quarterly, then choose "Date Range" from the period drop-down list. You can then enter a beginning and ending date range.
If you are a registered site user and are logged in, you may select any chart template you've created and apply it to the chart you are viewing. A template is used to display a chart with pre-defined settings, such as aggregation, bar type, studies, and more. Site members may further identify a default chart template to always apply to a new chart in the Site Preferences page found in the My Barchart tab.
- You can create your own default chart template and identify this in your Site Preferences. For example, if you always want to see Candlesticks on a 30 minute Intraday chart with 2 moving averages, create a template with those parameters, and add it to your Site Preferences. This way, your charts will always start out with your desired configuration.
- If you've customized a chart (applied tools, added studies, etc) and then switch templates, the previous changes you've made to the chart are not retained. Applying a new template "resets" the chart to the template's settings.
Templates are created in the My Barchart tab. Barchart Premier Members may create unlimited templates. A free site membership allows you to create up to 20 templates.
The Clear button (top right of the chart) clears all changes you've made and resets the chart to either the site default (6-Month Daily chart using OHLC bars), or to the default template identified in your Site Preferences.
Click the + Study menu to view available studies and fundamentals that can be added to the chart. Also use this menu to remove studies that have already been applied to the chart. When adding a study, you are prompted for the study parameters and can change the color of the line before adding it to the chart. Once a study is on the chart, you can remove it by opening the Studies menu and clicking the red "Delete" icon next to the study name.
Click the Settings menu to access different options for your chart.
- Bar Type: Choose from OHLC Bars, Colored OHLC Bars, Candlestick Hollow, Candlestick Open-to-Close, Candlestick Close-to-Close, Heikin-Ashi, Line, Area. For each Bar Type, you may customize the color of the bars.
OHLC Bars draw a dash for the open and closing price for the day, extending a line for the high and one for the low.
Colored OHLC Bars show the price bars in either green or red, depending on the bar's close price relates to the previous close. When green, the close is greater than the previous close; when red, the close is less than the previous close.
- If Close is greater than previous close, the bar is outlined in green.
- If Close is less than previous close, the bar is outlined in red.
- When close is above the open price, the candle is hollow.
- When close is below the open price, the candle is filled.
Candlestick Open-to-Close plot the difference between the close of the current bar and the open price of the current bar.
- If Close is greater than Open, the bar is colored green.
- If Close is less than Open, the bar is colored red.
Candlestick Close-to-Close plot the difference between the close of the current bar and the closing price of the previous bar (price change)
- If today's close is greater than the previous close, the bar is colored green.
- If today's close is less than the previous close, the bar is colored red.
Heikin-Ashi, which means average bar in Japanese, is a distinct type of Candlestick charts. They use average ranges to calculate the points of the Candle, which smooths out the chart and in turn provides an clearer view of the trend of the market. Heikin-Ashi are also different from traditional Candlestick charts, in that they take the prior session open and close into account for the open, which in turn removes any gaps between bars on the chart.
The Heikin-Ashi chart is plotted as a candlestick chart, where the down days are represented by filled bars, while the up days are represented by hollow bars.
- Open = (Open of previous bar+Close of previous bar)/2
- High = maximum of High, Open, or Close (whichever is highest)
- Low = minimum of Low, Open, or Close (whichever is lowest)
- Close = (Open+High+Low+Close)/4
- Hollow candles represent an uptrend, with larger hollow bars indicating a stronger uptrend.
- Filled candles represent a downtrend, with larger filled bars indicating a stronger downtrend.
Line and Area charts plot only the close for a given bar.
- Chart Size: Identifies the overall height of the chart on the page. Choose from Small, Medium, Large, X-Large. Note: When you click the pop-out chart icon the chart is automatically sized to fill the entire browser window.
- Floating Price Box: When checked, the price / study information is displayed in a Price Box as you move your mouse over the chart. When unchecked, the same data is displayed in small "cards" in each pane.
- Scale Type: Choose from Linear or Logarithmic.
- Scale Values: Choose from Price or % Change. (Percent Change will also change your Bar Type to Line.)
Linear scaling will calculate the most intelligent scale using the high, the low and a series of acceptable divisors for possible scales. The Logarithmic Scale uses scaling that allows for a large range of prices to be displayed without the compression of data seen on the linear scaling.
- Events: When checked, the chart will show any Dividends, Earnings or Splits on the applicable date.
- Dividends Back Adjust: When checked, price history is adjusted for dividends.
- Extended Hours: When checked, for U.S. equities / intraday charts only will show pre- and post-market data when available.
Futures contracts: These settings determines how Futures Contracts roll for Nearby and Continuation charts.
- Contract Roll: You may either roll the contract based on number of days to expiration, or based on Volume / Open Interest.
- Back Adjust History: When checked, price history is adjusted when switching contract months.
The Download icon (to the right of the Clear button) saves the chart as an image (.png format). Depending on your browser's configuration, you may be asked where you want to save the image, or it may automatically get downloaded to an area on your computer previously identified by your browser as the download destination.
The Pop-out icon (to the right of Download) opens the chart in a new browser window. You can pop out as many charts as you wish, and continue to use the Barchart.com website in a different browser window. Changes made to a pop-out chart are always saved in your account.