The Insider Trades page provides details of trading activity by individuals who may have non-public information about a company.
The top of the page shows a chart, where all Buy and Sell transactions are shown with their dollar values plotted by date. You may select different transaction sizes, or view only the Buys or Sells by using the drop-down filters at the top of the chart.
In addition, clicking on any of the green or red bars for a specific date will show you a breakdown of the trades that make up the bar in a table under the chart.
The next two widgets break out the stocks with the highest number of total trades and the highest trade value (transaction total) for the past 60 days.
The table at the bottom of the page shows all trades for the last 5 days, with the option to filter by a specific transaction date, transaction type, or dollar amount of the transaction. Barchart Members may view flipcharts of the symbols, download the data, and Barchart Premier Members may run a stock screener for the data presented in the table.
Note: This page is updated twice daily with new transactions recorded for that day, at approximately 4am CT and 4pm CT.
A number of transaction types are broken out to describe the trade details.
- Award: Usually acquired below the market price or for nil consideration as part of a Director’s remuneration package. Awards are reported when they Vest. That is when they are given to the Director and form part of his beneficial holding. In rare cases there may be conditions to this holding which will be reported in the note.
- Buy: Discretionary purchase of shares. In almost all cases this will be at the prevailing market price, exceptions will be explained in the Notes.
- Sell: Sale of part or all of the Director beneficial Holding at the prevailing market price unless otherwise stated in the Notes.
- Contract Buy: Director buys shares on the market as part of a contractual agreement. This may be to qualify for a matching award or under a regular share purchase plan. Although these are ‘on-market’ they are not considered to be indicative trades.
- Transfer In: Director acquires shares generally without direct monetary payment. This can be for a number of reasons and will be described in the Transaction Notes. Some examples: Director marries a shareholder. Director receives an inheritance.
- Transfer Out: Director holding is reduced after shares have been transferred to a third party. This may occur when a Director’s minor children come of age for example.
- Transfer: All or part of a Director’s holding is transferred between two parties in which the Director has an interest. The beneficial holding of the Director remains unchanged. For example a Director may sell shares from a company in which he is a beneficiary to a Pension Fund in which he is also a beneficiary. He may not be the exclusive beneficiary of either or both parties and his beneficial interest will be stated in the Note where possible.
- Div Re: Purchase of further shares with the proceeds of Dividends payable on Director’s existing holding. This may take the form of a [scrip] issue of new shares to all shareholders.
- Exercise: Vesting of options which form part of the Director’s beneficial holding after the event. Unless in exceptional circumstances the exercise price is below the market price and may even be nil.
- Sale Post-Exercise: Shares sold at prevailing market price after acquiring them through the exercise of an option. May also be used where shares have been sold after being acquired by Award. When the transaction is denoted with an asterisk, the transaction is not included in the overall "Sell" count (the trade was classified as a Non-Discretionary trade.)
- Given Away: Usually a charitable donation. Shares are no longer part of the Director’s beneficial holding but are not sold at the prevailing market price.
- Subscribe: Subscription to new issue. As a Director or as an existing shareholder Directors may be allocated rights to subscribe to new shares which are generally just below the prevailing market price. When the transaction is denoted with an asterisk, the transaction is not included in the overall "Buy" count (the trade was classified as a Non-Discretionary trade.)
For pages showing Intraday views, we use the current session's data with new price data appear on the page as indicated by a "flash". Stocks: 15 minute delay (Cboe BZX data for U.S. equities is real-time), ET. Volume reflects consolidated markets. Futures and Forex: 10 or 15 minute delay, CT.
The list of symbols included on the page is updated every 10 minutes throughout the trading day. However, new stocks are not automatically added to or re-ranked on the page until the site performs its 10-minute update.
For reference, we include the date and timestamp of when the list was last updated at the top right of the page.
Pages are initially sorted in a specific order (depending on the data presented). You can re-sort the page by clicking on any of the column headings in the table.
Most data tables can be analyzed using "Views." A View simply presents the symbols on the page with a different set of columns. Site members can also display the page using Custom Views. (Simply create a free account, log in, then create and save Custom Views to be used on any data table.)
Each View has a "Links" column on the far right to access a symbol's Quote Overview, Chart, Options Quotes (when available), Barchart Opinion, and Technical Analysis page. Standard Views found throughout the site include:
- Main View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Change, Percent Change, High, Low, Volume, and Time of Last Trade.
- Technical View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Today's Opinion, 20-Day Relative Strength, 20-Day Historic Volatility, 20-Day Average Volume, 52-Week High and 52-Week Low.
- Performance View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Weighted Alpha, YTD Percent Change, 1-Month, 3-Month and 1-Year Percent Change.
- Fundamental View: Available only on equity pages, shows Symbol, Name, Market Cap, P/E Ratio (trailing 12 months). Earnings Per Share (trailing 12 months), Net Income, Beta, Annual Dividend, and Dividend Yield.
Note: For all markets except U.S. equities, fundamental data is not licensed for downloading. Your .csv file will show "N/L" for "not licensed" when downloading from a Canadian, UK, Australian, or European stocks page.
- Mini-Chart View: Available for Barchart Premier Members, this view displays 12 small charts per page for the symbols shown in the data table. You may change the bar type and time frame for the Mini-Charts as you scroll through the page. The default settings for Mini-Charts are found in your Site Preferences, under "Overview Charts".
View Symbol More Data (+)
Unique to Barchart.com, data tables contain an option that allows you to see more data for the symbol without leaving the page. Click the "+" icon in the first column (on the left) to view more data for the selected symbol. Scroll through widgets of the different content available for the symbol. Click on any of the widgets to go to the full page. The "More Data" widgets are also available from the Links column of the right side of the data table.
Also unique to Barchart, Flipcharts allow you to scroll through all the symbols on the table in a chart view. While viewing Flipcharts, you can apply a custom chart template, further customizing the way you can analyze the symbols. Flipcharts are a free tool available to Site Members.
Note: Flipcharts, unlike the full-page chart or Dashboard, does not stream updated data to the chart.
Download is a free tool available to Site Members. This tool will download a .csv file for the View being displayed. For dynamically-generated tables (such as a Stock or ETF Screener) where you see more than 1000 rows of data, the download will be limited to only the first 1000 records on the table. For other static pages (such as the Russell 3000 Components list) all rows will be downloaded.
Free members are limited to 5 downloads per day, while Barchart Premier Members may download up to 100 .csv files per day.
Note: Due to licensing restrictions, Canadian fundamental data cannot be downloaded from Barchart.com. You will see "N/L" in a downloaded column when this is the case.
Should you require more than 100 downloads per day, please contact Barchart Sales at 866-333-7587 or email email@example.com for more information or additional options about historical market data.