The Site Preferences page is used to customize your viewing experience on Barchart.com. Changes you make to your Preferences are immediately saved.
- Default View: You can customize all data tables that display on the site by identifying the View to use. Standard views include the Main View (designed with the page's content in mind), the Technical View, or the Performance View. In addition, you can choose any Custom View as your default.
Note: Every Portfolio and Watchlist has its own Default View setting that will take precedence over this setting. Edit the Portfolio or Watchlist record to set its Default View.
This section allows you to set your preferences for chart viewing, and also set a default "template" to apply to all charts. A template stores things such as bar type, chart period (intraday, daily, weekly, monthly), studies, etc.
- Chart Style: Choose from Interactive or Snapshot charts. Any chart link on the site will take you to your preferred chart page.
When Chart Style = Interactive
Interactive Charts were designed to remember and retain your personalized settings when you are logged into the site. Regardless of the option you choose, any tool added to a chart is always saved and will be displayed next time you access that specific chart.
There are three auto-saving mechanisms that you can use:
- Use Last-Viewed Chart Settings: Any "common" changes you make to a chart (aggregation, bar type, studies, etc.) are remembered and carried forward to the next time you view a new chart. This is the recommended selection for a continuous chart viewing experience.
- Save Every Chart: Every symbol you chart is saved. This option offers the highest level of chart customization, where every symbol can potentially have its own unique chart setup. You will always see the chart as you did the last time you viewed it. However, for futures traders, this option is not recommended, as each time a futures contract expires, the next futures contract chart must again be configured to your preferred settings.
- Use Chart Template: This option should be used when you want to rely on a chart template to define your preferred chart configuration. When selected, you are asked to also select a default template to apply for every chart you view.
When Chart Style = Snapshot
You can identify a default template to use for every chart you view, or select "None" to use the site default chart settings.
This section allows you to set your preferences for Flipchart viewing (accessible from data tables on the site).
- Flipcharts Style: Choose to view Flipcharts using either the Interactive or Snapshot chart style.
- Flipcharts Template: For the chart style you've selected, you may additionally choose a template to apply to all Flipcharts you view on the site.
Note: If no Flipcharts template is selected, a 6-Month Daily OHLC Bar chart will be used.
You can change the default Bar Type to use on the Overview Charts appearing on each symbol's Quote Overview page.
Settings listed in this area are available only for Barchart Plus and Premier members. Free trial available.