Click here for more information on Barchart Opinion and Trading Signals.
Ranks stocks by a combination of their overall Opinion, signal strength and signal direction to come up with a list of the top and bottom stocks by Opinion.
Each analytic used within the signals is rated by signal strength and direction. The strengths are allocated 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 points; the directions are allocated 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 points. This gives a maximum of 55 points per signal. The totals are added up depending on buy, sell and hold rating and ranked 1 to 100 for the top 100 bullish stocks and the top 100 bearish stocks.
The signal strength and signal direction ratings are available from the advanced opinion pages. Signal strength and signal direction are independent of the signals rating.
Site Members may also opt-in to receive an End-of-Day email report of the 5 top and bottom symbols found on this Trading Signals page. The End-of-Day email digests are sent at 5:30 PM CT, Monday through Friday.
The page is initially sorted by Today's Opinion. You can re-sort the page by clicking on any of the column headings.
Note: Opinions on each symbol are updated every 20 minutes throughout the day, using delayed data from the exchanges. A security needs to have at least 201 active trading days in order to generate an Opinion reading.
For all markets: To be included in the Signals Upgrade or Downgrade page, the stock must have traded today, with a current price between $2 and $10,000 and with a 20-Day average volume greater than 1,000. A Stock must have an Opinion and a last month's Opinion.
For the U.S. market, a stock must be listed on the NYSE, NYSE Arca or Nasdaq exchange, excluding ETFs, unit investment trusts, closed end funds, warrant stocks, preferred securities and any non-SIC classified stock. OTC-US stocks have to be trading above $0.25 and have a (daily volume * last price) above 10,000. For the Canadian market: a stock must be listed on the TSX exchange, excluding unit investment trusts, closed end funds, warrant stocks, preferred securities and any non-SIC classified stock.
Barchart Opinions show traders what a variety of popular trading systems are suggesting in terms of going long or short the market.
The Opinions takes up to 2 years' worth of historical data and runs these prices through thirteen different technical indicators. After each calculation, the program assigns a buy, sell or hold value for each study, depending on where the price lies in reference to the common interpretation of the study. For example, if the price is above the moving average of the stock then this is generally considered an upward trend or a buy.
Note: A security needs to have at least 201 active trading days in order to generate an Opinion reading.
Available only with a Barchart Plus or Premier Membership, you can base a Stock Screener off the symbols currently on the page. This lets you add additional filters to further narrow down the list of candidates.
- Click "Screen" on the page and the Stock Screener opens, pulling in the symbols from the Opinions page.
- Add additional criteria in the Screener, such as "20-Day Moving Average is greater than the Last Price".
- View the results and save them to a Watchlist, or save the Screener to run again at a later date.
- Running a Saved Screener at a later date will always present a new list of results. Your Saved Screener will always start with the most current set of symbols found on the Opinions page before applying your custom filters and displaying new results.
For pages showing Intraday views, we use the current session's data with new price data appear on the page as indicated by a "flash". Stocks: 15 minute delay (Cboe BZX data for U.S. equities is real-time), ET. Volume reflects consolidated markets. Futures and Forex: 10 or 15 minute delay, CT.
The list of symbols included on the page is updated every 10 minutes throughout the trading day. However, new stocks are not automatically added to or re-ranked on the page until the site performs its 10-minute update.
For reference, we include the date and timestamp of when the list was last updated at the top right of the page.
Pages are initially sorted in a specific order (depending on the data presented). You can re-sort the page by clicking on any of the column headings in the table.
Most data tables can be analyzed using "Views." A View simply presents the symbols on the page with a different set of columns. Site members can also display the page using Custom Views.
Each View has a "Links" column on the far right to access a symbol's Quote Overview, Chart, Options Quotes (when available), Barchart Opinion, and Technical Analysis page. Standard Views found throughout the site include:
- Main View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Change, Percent Change, High, Low, Volume, and Time of Last Trade.
- Technical View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Today's Opinion, 20-Day Relative Strength, 20-Day Historic Volatility, 20-Day Average Volume, 52-Week High and 52-Week Low.
- Performance View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Weighted Alpha, YTD Percent Change, 1-Month, 3-Month and 1-Year Percent Change.
- Fundamental View: Available only on equity pages, shows Symbol, Name, Market Cap, P/E Ratio (trailing 12 months). Earnings Per Share (trailing 12 months), Net Income, Beta, Annual Dividend, and Dividend Yield.
Note: For all markets except U.S. equities, fundamental data is not licensed for downloading. Your .csv file will show "N/L" for "not licensed" when downloading from a Canadian, UK, Australian, or European stocks page.
- Mini-Chart View: Available for Barchart Plus and Premier Members, this view displays 12 small charts per page for the symbols shown in the data table. You may change the bar type and time frame for the Mini-Charts as you scroll through the page. The default settings for Mini-Charts are found in your Site Preferences, under "Overview Charts".
- Pre-Post Market Data: Available for Barchart Plus and Premier Members, this view will show any pre- or post-market price activity for U.S. equities only.
View Symbol More Data (+)
Unique to Barchart.com, data tables contain an option that allows you to see more data for the symbol without leaving the page. Click the "+" icon in the first column (on the left) to view more data for the selected symbol. Scroll through widgets of the different content available for the symbol. Click on any of the widgets to go to the full page. The "More Data" widgets are also available from the Links column of the right side of the data table.
Also unique to Barchart, Flipcharts allow you to scroll through all the symbols on the table in a chart view. While viewing Flipcharts, you can apply a custom chart template, further customizing the way you can analyze the symbols. Flipcharts are a free tool available to Site Members.
Note: Flipcharts, unlike the full-page chart or Dashboard, does not stream updated data to the chart.
Download is a free tool available to Site Members. This tool will download a .csv file for the View being displayed. For dynamically-generated tables (such as a Stock or ETF Screener) where you see more than 1000 rows of data, the download will be limited to only the first 1000 records on the table. For other static pages (such as the Russell 3000 Components list) all rows will be downloaded.
Free members are limited to 1 site download per day. Barchart Plus Members have 10 downloads per day, while Barchart Premier Members may download up to 250 .csv files per day.
Note: Due to licensing restrictions, Canadian fundamental data cannot be downloaded from Barchart.com. You will see "N/L" in a downloaded column when this is the case.
Should you require more than 250 downloads per day, please contact Barchart Sales at 866-333-7587 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or additional options about historical market data.