The Disaggregated Commitment of Traders Report is a breakdown of each Tuesday’s open interest in the major futures markets as reported by the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC).
The COT data is from Tuesday, and is released Friday by the CFTC. Reporting firms send Tuesday open interest data on Wednesday morning. The CFTC then corrects and verifies the data for release by Friday afternoon. The Barchart site's data is then updated, after the official CFTC release.
The data is divided into four categories, accessible using the drop-down menu at the top of the page:
- Swap Dealers
- Managed Money
- Other Reportables
When graphically shown on charts using the COT Charts page, you'll see the Net Traders Positions: the difference between the number of long positions minus the number of short positions, held by each group. The Net Positions page provides the latest reporting period's data in tabular format. Flipcharts and Download are available on the page.
Choose from a Detailed Report where you can page through the last 52 reported weeks of data, or a Summary Report, showing just the last reporting period.
The page is segmented by commodity grouping (Energies, Grains, Meats, Metals, and Softs). Within each group, you will find:
- Commodity (clicking on the name links to a chart with the Disaggregated Data shown graphically)
- Net Positions: Long Positions - Short Positions. If the Net Positions is newly positive or negative from the last reporting period, it will be highlighted in blue.
- Net Change: the difference from the previous reporting period for the Net Positions
- Net Positions 52W Range: the histogram shows the 52-week High and Low Net Positions, along the a marker showing where the current period's Net Positions call within the range. This can quickly give you a visual of where the current period falls within the last 52 weeks.
- Long: the Long Positions open for the current reporting period
- Change: the difference in Long Positions from the previous reporting period
- Short: the Short Positions open for the current reporting period
- Change: the difference in Short Positions from the previous reporting period