This page provides details for the Index you are viewing. At the top, you'll find a histogram containing today's high and low price. The histogram shows where the open and last price fall within that range. Below is a histogram showing the 52-week high and low. A chart also shows you today's activity.
Available only with a Premier Membership, you can base a Stock Screener off the symbols currently on the page. This lets you add additional filters to further narrow down the list of candidates.
- Click "Screen" on the page and the Stock Screener opens, pulling in the symbols from the Components page.
- Add additional criteria in the Screener, such as "20-Day Moving Average is greater than the Last Price", or "Trend Seeker® Opinion is Buy".
- View the results and save them to a Watchlist, or save the Screener to run again at a later date.
- Running a Saved Screener at a later date will always present a new list of results. Your Saved Screener will always start with the most current set of symbols found on the Components page before applying your custom filters and displaying new results.
Percentage of Stocks Above Moving Average
For the major indices on the site, this widget shows the percentage of stocks contained in the index that are above their 20-Day, 50-Day, 100-Day, 150-Day, and 200-Day Moving Averages.
In theory, the direction of the moving average (higher, lower or flat) indicates the trend of the market. Its slope indicates the strength of the trend. Longer averages are used to identify longer-term trends. Shorter averages are used to identify shorter-term trends. Many trading systems utilize moving averages as independent variables and market analysts frequently use moving averages to confirm technical breakouts.
When prices are rising they are usually above the average. This is to be expected since the average includes data from the previous, lower priced days. As long as prices remain above the average there is strength in the market.
The components table shows you the stocks that comprise the index.
Barchart Data Table
Data tables on Barchart follow a familiar format to view and access extensive information for the symbols in the table.
Pages are initially sorted in a specific order (depending on the data presented). You can re-sort the page by clicking on any of the column headings in the table.
Most data tables contain multiple standard "Views", and each View contains "Links" to each symbol's Quote Overview, Chart, Barchart Opinion, and Technical Analysis page. A View simply presents the same symbols with different columns. Site members can also display the data using any Custom View. (Simply create a free account, log in, then create and save Custom Views to be used on any data table.) Standard Views on the Index page include:
- Main View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Change, Percent Change, High, Low, and Time of Last Trade.
- Technical View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Today's Opinion, 20-Day Relative Strength, 20-Day Historic Volatility, 20-Day Average Volume, 52-Week High and 52-Week Low.
- Performance View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Weighted Alpha, YTD Percent Change, 1-Month, 3-Month and 1-Year Percent Change.
Data Table Expand
Unique to Barchart.com, data tables contain an "expand" option. Click the "+" icon in the first column (on the left) to "expand" the table for the selected symbol. Scroll through widgets of the different content available for the symbol. Click on any of the widgets to go to the full page.
Horizontal Scroll on Wide Tables
Especially when using a custom view, you may find that the number of columns chosen exceeds the available space to show all the data. In this case, the table must be horizontally scrolled (left to right) to view all of the information. To do this, you can either scroll to the bottom of the table and use the table's scrollbar, or you can scroll the table using your browser's built-in scroll:
- Left-click with your mouse anywhere on the table.
- Use your keyboard's left and right arrows to scroll the table.
- Repeat this anywhere as you move through the table to enable horizontal scrolling.
Also unique to Barchart, this feature allows you to scroll through all the symbols on the table in a chart view. FlipCharts are a ctool available to Site Members.
Download is a free tool available to Site Members. This tool will download a .csv file for the View being displayed. Free members are limited to 5 downloads per day, while Barchart Premier Members may download up to 100 .csv files per day. Should you require more than 100 downloads per day, please contact Barchart Sales at 866-333-7587 or email email@example.com for more information or additional options about historical market data.
Note: For all markets except U.S. equities, fundamental data is not licensed for downloading. Your .csv file will show "N/L" for "not licensed" when downloading from a Canadian, UK, Australian, or European stocks page.