The Major Indices Page presents charts of the four major indices for your selected market (U.S. or Canada) for a quick visual on how each index has moved over the last week. Below the charts, find a table with all of the major indices.
The components table shows you the stocks that comprise the index.
Barchart Data Table
Data tables on Barchart follow a familiar format to view and access extensive information for the symbols in the table.
Pages are initially sorted in a specific order (depending on the data presented). You can re-sort the page by clicking on any of the column headings in the table.
Most data tables contain multiple standard "Views", and each View contains "Links" to each symbol's Quote Overview, Chart, Barchart Opinion, and Technical Analysis page. A View simply presents the same symbols with different columns. Site members can also display the data using any Custom View. (Simply create a free account, log in, then create and save Custom Views to be used on any data table.) Standard Views on the Index page include:
- Main View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Change, Percent Change, High, Low, and Time of Last Trade.
- Technical View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Today's Opinion, 20-Day Relative Strength, 20-Day Historic Volatility, 20-Day Average Volume, 52-Week High and 52-Week Low.
- Performance View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Weighted Alpha, YTD Percent Change, 1-Month, 3-Month and 1-Year Percent Change.
Data Table Expand
Unique to Barchart.com, data tables contain an "expand" option. Click the "+" icon in the first column (on the left) to "expand" the table for the selected symbol. Scroll through widgets of the different content available for the symbol. Click on any of the widgets to go to the full page.
Horizontal Scroll on Wide Tables
Especially when using a custom view, you may find that the number of columns chosen exceeds the available space to show all the data. In this case, the table must be horizontally scrolled (left to right) to view all of the information. To do this, you can either scroll to the bottom of the table and use the table's scrollbar, or you can scroll the table using your browser's built-in scroll:
- Left-click with your mouse anywhere on the table.
- Use your keyboard's left and right arrows to scroll the table.
- Repeat this anywhere as you move through the table to enable horizontal scrolling.
Also unique to Barchart, this feature allows you to scroll through all the symbols on the table in a chart view. FlipCharts are a free tool available to Site Members.
This tool will download a .csv file (compatible with many spreadsheet programs) for the View being displayed. Download is also a free tool available to Site Members.