The Top 100 Stocks page Ranks stocks by highest Weighted Alpha (measure of how much a stock has changed in a one year period).
The report shows you the symbol's rank from the previous day's report. A rank of "N/A" indicates that the symbol is new to today's report (it was not on the Top 100 page yesterday).
About Weighted Alpha
Weighted Alpha is a measure of how much a stock has risen or fallen over a one-year period. The original research was restricted to large cap stocks, so the corresponding rise in the S&P 500 index was subtracted; however, as there are a number of interesting stocks that do not fit well into any category, and others that fit into more than one category, the results are presented without subtracting any index.
Barchart.com takes this alpha (measure of how much a stock has changed in the one-year period) and weights this, assigning more weight to recent activity, and less (0.5 factor) to activity at the beginning of the period. Thus the weighted alpha is a measure of one year growth with an emphasis on the most recent price activity.
A stock whose price has risen over the one-year period will have a positive Weighted Alpha. A stock whose price has not changed in the period will have a small Weighted Alpha and a stock whose price has dropped over the period will have a negative Weighted Alpha.
Note: The Weighted Alpha is limited in the amount it may change from one day to the next, thus eliminating large price jumps from the calculation.
Receive Newly Ranked Stocks Email
Available only with a Premier Membership, you can opt to receive an end-of-day email of newly ranked stocks to the Top 100 page. A newly ranked stock is one whose previous rank appears as "N/A" on the page.
Available only with a Premier Membership, you can view historical pages by choosing a date from the Historical date picker. This will show you the data for the page as of the chosen date. Historical Top 100 Stocks reports start at 03/06/2020. Flipcharts and Download tools are also available for historical reports.
Available only with a Premier Membership, you can base a Stock Screener off the symbols currently on the page. This lets you add additional filters to further narrow down the list of candidates.
- Click "Screen" on the page and the Stock Screener opens, pulling in the symbols from the Top 100 Stocks page.
- Add additional criteria in the Screener, such as "20-Day Moving Average is greater than the Last Price", or "Trend Seeker® Opinion is Buy".
- View the results and save them to a Watchlist, or save the Screener to run again at a later date.
- Running a Saved Screener at a later date will always present a new list of results. Your Saved Screener will always start with the most current set of symbols found on the Top 100 Stocks page before applying your custom filters and displaying new results.
For pages showing Intraday views, we use the current session's data with new price data appear on the page as indicated by a "flash". Stocks: 15 minute delay (Cboe BZX data for U.S. equities is real-time), ET. Volume reflects consolidated markets. Futures and Forex: 10 or 15 minute delay, CT.
The list of symbols included on the page is updated every 10 minutes throughout the trading day. However, new stocks are not automatically added to or re-ranked on the page until the site performs its 10-minute update.
For reference, we include the date and timestamp of when the list was last updated at the top right of the page.
Pages are initially sorted in a specific order (depending on the data presented). You can re-sort the page by clicking on any of the column headings in the table.
Most data tables can be analyzed using "Views." A View simply presents the symbols on the page with a different set of columns. Site members can also display the page using Custom Views. (Simply create a free account, log in, then create and save Custom Views to be used on any data table.)
Each View has a "Links" column on the far right to access a symbol's Quote Overview, Chart, Options Quotes (when available), Barchart Opinion, and Technical Analysis page. Standard Views found throughout the site include:
- Main View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Change, Percent Change, High, Low, Volume, and Time of Last Trade.
- Technical View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Today's Opinion, 20-Day Relative Strength, 20-Day Historic Volatility, 20-Day Average Volume, 52-Week High and 52-Week Low.
- Performance View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Weighted Alpha, YTD Percent Change, 1-Month, 3-Month and 1-Year Percent Change.
- Fundamental View: Available only on equity pages, shows Symbol, Name, Market Cap, P/E Ratio (trailing 12 months). Earnings Per Share (trailing 12 months), Net Income, Beta, Annual Dividend, and Dividend Yield.
Note: For all markets except U.S. equities, fundamental data is not licensed for downloading. Your .csv file will show "N/L" for "not licensed" when downloading from a Canadian, UK, Australian, or European stocks page.
- Mini-Chart View: Available for Barchart Premier Members, this view displays 12 small charts per page for the symbols shown in the data table. You may change the bar type and time frame for the Mini-Charts as you scroll through the page. The default settings for Mini-Charts are found in your Site Preferences, under "Overview Charts".
View Symbol More Data (+)
Unique to Barchart.com, data tables contain an option that allows you to see more data for the symbol without leaving the page. Click the "+" icon in the first column (on the left) to view more data for the selected symbol. Scroll through widgets of the different content available for the symbol. Click on any of the widgets to go to the full page. The "More Data" widgets are also available from the Links column of the right side of the data table.
Also unique to Barchart, Flipcharts allow you to scroll through all the symbols on the table in a chart view. While viewing Flipcharts, you can apply a custom chart template, further customizing the way you can analyze the symbols. Flipcharts are a free tool available to Site Members.
Note: Flipcharts, unlike the full-page chart or Dashboard, does not stream updated data to the chart.
Download is a free tool available to Site Members. This tool will download a .csv file for the View being displayed. For dynamically-generated tables (such as a Stock or ETF Screener) where you see more than 1000 rows of data, the download will be limited to only the first 1000 records on the table. For other static pages (such as the Russell 3000 Components list) all rows will be downloaded.
Free members are limited to 5 downloads per day, while Barchart Premier Members may download up to 100 .csv files per day.
Note: Due to licensing restrictions, Canadian fundamental data cannot be downloaded from Barchart.com. You will see "N/L" in a downloaded column when this is the case.
Should you require more than 100 downloads per day, please contact Barchart Sales at 866-333-7587 or email email@example.com for more information or additional options about historical market data.