The Highest Implied Volatility Options page shows equity options that have the highest implied volatility. You may also choose to see the Lowest Implied Volatility Options by selecting the appropriate tab on the page.
Implied volatility is a theoretical value that measures the expected volatility of the underlying stock over the period of the option. It is an important factor to consider when understanding how an option is priced, as it can help traders determine if an option is fairly valued, undervalued, or overvalued. Generally speaking, traders look to buy an option when the implied volatility is low, and look to sell an option (or consider a spread strategy) when implied volatility is high.
Implied volatility is determined mathematically by using current option prices and the Binomial option pricing model. The resulting number helps traders determine whether the premium of an option is "fair" or not. It is also a measure of investors' predictions about future volatility of the underlying stock.
Implied volatility rises when the demand for an option increases, and decreases with a lesser demand. Typically you will see higher-priced option premiums on options with high volatility, and cheaper premiums with low volatility.
It should also be noted that earnings announcements and news releases can have an impact on implied volatility. You may see a rise in implied volatility prior to an announcement, with a sharp drop-off in implied volatility afterwards.
The page is initially sorted in descending Implied Volatility sequence. You can re-sort the page by clicking on any of the column headings.
Flipcharts are available, and you may choose to view charts for the underlying equity or for the option strike when you open the Flipcharts link. Site Members may also download the data on the page to a .csv file.
For U.S. market, an option needs to have volume of greater than 500, open interest greater than 100, a last price greater than 0.10, and implied volatility greater than 60%. For Canadian market, an option needs to have volume of greater than 5, open interest greater than 25, and implied volatility greater than 60% (the Lowest Implied Volatility page looks for implied volatility between 1% - 59%.) For both U.S. and Canadian markets. we also show only options with days till expiration greater than 14.
Options information is delayed 15 minutes.
Available only with a Barchart Premier Membership, you can base an Options Screener off the symbols currently on the page. This lets you add additional filters to further narrow down the list of candidates.
- Click "Screen" on the page and the Options Screener opens, pulling in the symbols from the Highest Implied Volatility Options page.
- Add additional criteria in the Screener, such as "Moneyness", or "Delta".
- View the results and if you wish, save the Screener to run again at a later date.
- Running a Saved Screener at a later date will always start with a new list of results. Your Saved Screener will always start with the most current set of symbols found on the Highest Implied Volatility Options page before applying your custom filters and displaying new results.
For pages showing Intraday views, we use the current session's data with new price data appear on the page as indicated by a "flash". Stocks: 15 minute delay (Cboe BZX data for U.S. equities is real-time), ET. Volume reflects consolidated markets. Futures and Forex: 10 or 15 minute delay, CT.
The list of symbols included on the page is updated every 10 minutes throughout the trading day. However, new stocks are not automatically added to or re-ranked on the page until the site performs its 10-minute update.
For reference, we include the date and timestamp of when the list was last updated at the top right of the page.
Pages are initially sorted in a specific order (depending on the data presented). You can re-sort the page by clicking on any of the column headings in the table.
Most data tables can be analyzed using "Views." A View simply presents the symbols on the page with a different set of columns. Site members can also display the page using Custom Views.
Each View has a "Links" column on the far right to access a symbol's Quote Overview, Chart, Options Quotes (when available), Barchart Opinion, and Technical Analysis page. Standard Views found throughout the site include:
- Main View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Change, Percent Change, High, Low, Volume, and Time of Last Trade.
- Technical View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Today's Opinion, 20-Day Relative Strength, 20-Day Historic Volatility, 20-Day Average Volume, 52-Week High and 52-Week Low.
- Performance View: Symbol, Name, Last Price, Weighted Alpha, YTD Percent Change, 1-Month, 3-Month and 1-Year Percent Change.
- Fundamental View: Available only on equity pages, shows Symbol, Name, Market Cap, P/E Ratio (trailing 12 months). Earnings Per Share (trailing 12 months), Net Income, Beta, Annual Dividend, and Dividend Yield.
Note: For all markets except U.S. equities, fundamental data is not licensed for downloading. Your .csv file will show "N/L" for "not licensed" when downloading from a Canadian, UK, Australian, or European stocks page.
- Mini-Chart View: Available for Barchart Plus and Premier Members, this view displays 12 small charts per page for the symbols shown in the data table. You may change the bar type and time frame for the Mini-Charts as you scroll through the page. The default settings for Mini-Charts are found in your Site Preferences, under "Overview Charts".
- Pre-Post Market Data: Available for Barchart Plus and Premier Members, this view will show any pre- or post-market price activity for U.S. equities only.
View Symbol More Data (+)
Unique to Barchart.com, data tables contain an option that allows you to see more data for the symbol without leaving the page. Click the "+" icon in the first column (on the left) to view more data for the selected symbol. Scroll through widgets of the different content available for the symbol. Click on any of the widgets to go to the full page. The "More Data" widgets are also available from the Links column of the right side of the data table.
Also unique to Barchart, Flipcharts allow you to scroll through all the symbols on the table in a chart view. While viewing Flipcharts, you can apply a custom chart template, further customizing the way you can analyze the symbols. Flipcharts are a free tool available to Site Members.
Note: Flipcharts, unlike the full-page chart or Dashboard, does not stream updated data to the chart.
Download is a free tool available to Site Members. This tool will download a .csv file for the View being displayed. For dynamically-generated tables (such as a Stock or ETF Screener) where you see more than 1000 rows of data, the download will be limited to only the first 1000 records on the table. For other static pages (such as the Russell 3000 Components list) all rows will be downloaded.
Free members are limited to 1 site download per day. Barchart Plus Members have 10 downloads per day, while Barchart Premier Members may download up to 250 .csv files per day.
Note: Due to licensing restrictions, Canadian fundamental data cannot be downloaded from Barchart.com. You will see "N/L" in a downloaded column when this is the case.
Should you require more than 250 downloads per day, please contact Barchart Sales at 866-333-7587 or email email@example.com for more information or additional options about historical market data.